Thursday, May 30, 2013

Morning Glory: Overcoming Disappointment





Doesn't matter who you are, we have all experienced disappointment. It's definitely not a great feeling.

Unmet expectations - unfulfilled dreams/hopes - being let down by a person or ourselves - frustration -


disillusionment... sadness...


It happens. It hurts.


This last season of my life was met with several personal disappointments...situations I had no control over and no matter how hard I tried, they were not going to be "fixed"...


Life was not going to stop because I felt disappointed & hurt. I had to keep moving. One step at a time, one day at a time. One prayer at a time.


What do we do with our disappointments?


Will we allow our disappointments to define us?  Will we allow them to overcome us?


Or will we overcome our disappointments?


A few things that help me.


1. God is the God who sees. He sees me & He sees you! He knows every single detail of my heart,my thoughts, my life AND He deeply cares. He is for me & you!!  This song by Kari Jobe super blesses me & ministers to my heart!


2. Perspective is everything. It's healthy for us to acknowledge our feelings & emotions but we can't fixate on them. Where is our focus?


"Set your mind of things above, not on earthly matters." Colossians 3:2


"Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right whatever it is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable- if anything is excellent or praiseworthy - think about such things."  -Philippians 4:8


3. Prayer. God loves it when we come to Him. We can tell Him anything. We can be raw, honest & we don't have to get ourselves together first - He wants us to come to Him just as we are ... even a hot mess! :) He can handle our disappointments! 

4. Praise. The bible says that God inhabits the praises of His people. His presence in our lives changes everything!! It only takes a moment in His presence. We have so much to praise Him for. We can praise Him in the midst of pain & difficult circumstance. 

"Fig trees may no longer bloom, or vineyards produce grapes; olive trees may be fruitless, and harvest time a failure; sheep pens may be empty and cattle stalls vacant-- but I will still celebrate because the Lord God saves me." Habakkuk 3:17-18

5. Declare Truth. What we speak from our mouth is powerful. Our words can either speak life or death. Speak Life! Speak God's Truth! 

"Nevertheless I am continually with You; You hold me by my right hand. You will guide me with Your counsel, and afterward receive me to glory. Whom have I in heaven but You? And there is none upon earth that I desire besides You. My flesh and my heart fail; But God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever." - Psalm 73: 23-26



God will give us the grace we need to navigate any situation in our life!


My prayer is that we will lay down our disappointments to the Lord - there is nothing that we will experience that Jesus cannot relate with.


If we choose to hang on to our disappointments they will eventually lead to defeat in our lives! And this will become such a distraction to the purposes the Lord has called us to!


Today is a new day! There is an abundance of Grace available for us! His Grace is Sufficient for us!!



But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me. 2 Corinthians 12:9


I pray that you will find what you need from a loving God today! He is our Comforter, our Healer and our Friend!


Not sure what you are walking through right now.. perhaps you are on the mountain top right now or perhaps you are in a valley... wherever you find yourself today - I pray that these things will be a help to you today or when you need them! :)




2 comments:

Unknown said...

such a good word of truth! thanks for sharing it today!

Shawn and Candi said...

Thanks for reading Andrea!

Post a Comment

 

Template by Suck my Lolly